Apple and Onion Soup Recipe
Tim's unusual combination of flavours works very wekk and as the apple and onion season come together is a great way of using windfalls of any type of apple –sweet or cooking varieties. Yoghurt can be used to finish instead of cream.
- 6 onions, peeled and chopped finely
- 4 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and chopped finely
- 2 shallots, peeled and chopped finely
- 110g butter
- 600ml chicken stock
- 300ml apple juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 150ml cream
Melt the butter in a large pot and stir in the apples, shallots and onions for about 5 minutes until soft but not browned.
Add the stock, parsley, thyme and apple juice; simmer for about 20 minutes.
Cool a little, then whizz in a food processor.
Return to the pot, add the cream and simmer gently for 5 minutes. Do not allow to boil.
Taste for seasoning and serve in warmed soup plates with a sprinkling of the remaining parsley.
Serve with freshly baked brown bread.