LAMB SHANKS WITH ROAST VEGETABLES, SCALLION MASH AND ROSEMARY
Recipe from: Head Chef Tim O'Sullivan, Renvyle House Hotel, Connemara, Co. Galway
- 4 Lamb Shanks (oven ready)
- 3 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 4 Sprigs of Rosemary
- Salt and Black Pepper
- 4 Tbsp Butter
- 2 Chopped Cloves of Garlic
- 2 Tbsp Chopped Parsley
- 250g (10oz) Carrots and Parsnips (cut into small chunks)
- 8 Shallots (peeled)
- Flat Leaf Parsley (for Garnish)
- Scallion Mash (see page?)
- Pre-heat the oven to 160°C / Gas Mark 3. Heat oil in a large roasting dish and brown the shanks on all sides. Remove the shanks and brown the vegetables. Remove the vegetables.
- Put the shanks and juices back in the dish with rosemary and garlic and ½ glass of water. Season with salt and pepper. Cover the dish with tin foil and cook for 1 ½ hours. Then add the vegetables and continue to cook for a further hour.
- Remove from the oven, place the shanks and vegetables on a dish and keep warm. Strain off the juices into a small pot. Remove any visible fat from the juice. Boil for 5-6 minutes until it has a light sauce consistency. Remove from the heat and whisk in the butter, then add the chopped parsley and chives.
- Warm four large plates. Place shank of lamb in the centre, surround with vegetables and coat with the sauce. Garnish with flat leaf parsley and serve with scallion mash.