A gardening weekend with Mr. Klaus Laitenberger, Organic Gardening Expert and Author and Ms. Anja Gohlke, Head Gardner at Kylemore Abbey.
Friday 16th-17th February 2018
This year's gardening weekend willcover a different stage of preparation and planting in the garden, what should be done mid-spring.
The weekend programme will include an introductory evening, several demonstrations and workshops, a visit to Kylemore Abbey Victorian Walled Gardens with a tour with the head gardener, nightly in house entertainment, and complimentary use of on-site facilities, mystery guest & more...
With Klaus Laitenberger, talks and practical demonstrations:
- What to do in the garden in February? Vegetable bed preparation and planting.
- Growing herbs, a chance to learn more in the Renvyle Herb Garden, identifying all herbs in the garden, learning what maintenance is required for each and how to propagate the plants.
- Controlling weeds organically; this session will cover how weeds can be controlled without herbicide. Options include hoeing, mulching, false seed bed technique etc.
and Anka Gohlke, Head Gardener of Kylemore Abbey and Victorian Walled Gardens will give a general tour of the garden with focus on:
- The layout and the different seasons of the garden as an indicator for Victorian gardens
- What's in bloom at the moment?
- What is growing in the Vegetable Garden at the moment and how the beds are made?
- The use of green manures, catch crops, companion plants and other natural aids
- What is going on in the glasshouse at the moment?
- Preparing and using our own produced compost
- The challenges of running a big public heritage garden like ours
Price €195.00pp and includes 2 Bed & Breakfast, 1 Dinner & 1 Bar Food Evening Meal (Main Course + Tea/Coffee), Gardening demonstrations and tips with Klaus Laitenberger, an afternoon field trip to Kylemore Victorian Walled Garden and evening entertainment.
Header Image Copyright: alexraths / 123RF Stock Photo