Renvyle House is a four star, historic country house hotel, situated in the wild splendour of Connemara on the shores of the Wild Atlantic Way.
The resort is located on 150 acres which includes a private lake, a par 3 golf course, 1km of beach, woodlands and gardens. Over several centuries, Renvyle House has been built, pulled down, rebuilt, burned to ashes and rebuilt once again. A chieftain of one of the oldest and most powerful Gaelic clans in Connacht once lived here.
It was formerly the home of the Blake Family, one of the fourteen tribes of Galway. Mrs. Caroline Blake first opened is as an hotel in 1883. It then became the home of poet, Statesman and surgeon Oliver St. John Gogarty (Buck Mulligan of James Joyce's "Ulysses") and, since becoming a country house hotel in 1883, Renvyle House has played host to many famous people - Augustus John, Lady Gregory, W.B. Yeats and Churchill among them. In fact the poet W.B. Yeats spent his honeymoon at Renvyle House in the Autumn of 1917. The house was burnt in the Civil War along with Gogarty's extensive Library containing many valuable first editions. It was rebuilt in the Arts & Crafts style and reopened as an hotel once again.
It is still a family owned and operated hotel and has been in the Coyle family since 1952.
Leisure facilities include tennis, swimming, boating, fly-fishing, snooker, boating, fishing, lawn bowls, croquet and clay pigeon shooting are just some of the options that you will find at Renvyle House Hotel. It is also located on the Connemara Loop and has wonderful walking and cycling routes throughout an area that hosts a vast National Park.
A unique hotel with an excellent location, a long and varied history and renowned for its food, hospitality and entertainment. A great holiday desintation. Renvyle House Hotel awaits being discovered by you.
Here, the only stress is on relaxation
1920's Brochure when the Clifden Railway Station was still in operation, we had electric light, telephones and dancing floors!. Some gorgeous photographs within.
1930's Brochure the Clifden Railway Station was closed at this stage and an extensive Garage for visitors' cars was built.