CHRISTMAS MINCE PIES
Tim and his team make dozens and dozens of these for our guests over the Christmas Season, a lovely light pastry and deliciously seasonal filling make them ideal at any time of the day!
100g cooking apples peeled and chopped
35g mixed peel
70g brown sugar
70g suet, finely chopped
10g chopped almonds
juice and rind of half lemon
½ teaspoon mixed spice
1 tablespoon brandy.
- Mince coarsely the apples, raisins, currants, sultanas and mixed peel.
- Place in a bowl and add the sugar, suet, almonds, lemon juice and rind, mixed spice and brandy. Mix all together.
- This can be made one week in advance. Store in tightly sealed jars.
**Shortcrust Pastry Ingredients:
200g plain flour
½ teaspoon salt
50g margarine/ butter
2 tablespoons water
- Sieve the flour and salt into a bowl.
- Cut the lard and margarine/ butter into small cubes (1.5cm) and rub into flour.
- Make a well in the centre and add the water, mixing to produce a soft dough. Wrap in cling film and chill until required
To finish the pies:
- Preheat oven to 220°c/ 425°F/ Gas 7
- Roll the pastry thinly and cut into rounds about 8cm for the pie bases.
- Line the patty tins with these and fill about half their depth with mincemeat.
- Cut out slightly smaller rounds for the covers. Dampen the rims of the pie bases with cold water and place the cover on top, pressing the edges together lightly to seal them.
- Make a small slit in the top of each pie, brush with egg white and sprinkle with caster sugar.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove and allow to stand for 2 to 3 minutes before removing from the tins.
- Serve with whipped cream flavoured with vanilla.